Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wacky Sock Wednesday and THE HILL

I broke out my wacky socks and the team thought I looked AWESOME, NOT!  Anyway, every Wednesday is WACKY SOCK WEDNESDAY, so don't forget that.  We've seen some pretty wacky socks over the years, so we'll wait to see if anyone can out do me!!

One team member told be during school today that she needed a day off, and I responded with a "No, we have to continue the PROCESS, and being tired is part of it.  You need to be at practice."  She was a no show.

So, I talked to the team about the PROCESS of training and how "being tired" is a necessary part of it.  We generally work on a Hard Day, Easy Day concept throughout the course of the season, so that will not change.  What is important to remember that we are working for 3 distinct meets during the course of the season, and our training and routine are all geared for that.  On top of that, I know the importance of what I call "the 40 day rule".  If you are interested in the "40 Day Rule" come talk to me sometime.  You might be surprised with it's significance.

What makes it challenging as a coach, is that youngsters are not exactly the most patient people in the world, and 40 days must seem like an eternity to them, so its my job to keep them motivated throughout that period and vary the workouts so it keeps things interesting.

We traveled to THE HILL and hit it hard for 20 minutes tonight.  Most everyone was up 5 times and down 5 times with about a 90 second rest interval in between.  Mixed with the heat, it was certainly a challenge, but we were lucky in the fact that the humidity was low and there was a relatively nice breeze.  We also ran a sprinkler from Coach Pacey's house, so the team had some refreshing water to look forward to each time up and down the hill.

No comments: