Monday, August 26, 2013

Heat Hysteria - Let's be real here.

First, I have to say the Picnic, Practice and Pool Party was a lot of fun on Saturday.  I want to again thank the many parents and especially my wife for helping with this event.  The Veterans continued their streak of NEVER losing a kickball game to the Rookies and I got drenched by flying water balloons.  It was all in good fun.  The food was really good and the water balloon relay went well for the workout.  It's always a joy to run on the trail on what I refer to as "the north 40".  So quiet and peaceful.  WOW.

My wife and I beat it out of town with our grandson and went to the railroad museum in Union Illinois to see Thomas the Tank Engine.  I could not believe all the people there.  THOUSANDS, for sure.  I enjoyed riding the train and checking out some old locomotives and other forms of rail transportation.  Really a neat place.

Now let's be real about the weather for a moment.  My gosh, we think folks are going to keel over when it gets warm like this, but as I told the team, the secret to success in this warmer weather is being smart by hydrating right, with the proper liquids, and adapting activity accordingly.  So, that's what we did for practice today.  I backed of slightly on the distance to be run and made sure we had plenty of water during the main part of the workout, which lasted a bit over 20 minutes.  I ran every interval with the team, and was generally impressed with how we performed.  Of course, is the "old man" can do this, then these young pups ought to be able to respond accordingly.  Of course, I would never tease them about being beat by the old guy........

We did spend quite a bit of time on the course so the rookies really understand how the course is run.  Of course, they will be very nervous tomorrow, which is normal.  We'll do just fine.

Girls will run at 4:15 followed by the guys about 4:45.  The team then runs a cool down afterwards, so we just don't pick up and go right after the race.

See you at the races for this seasons first exhibition!

No comments: