Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Day of School

I celebrated my 53rd "1st Day of School" and had a picture taken on my Iphone so I could send it to Mom and Dad.  I had my gym bag in hand and a supply of apples!!!!

This day is always fun but stressful for many.  We spent a lot of time just getting new team members adjusted to the building and also being acquainted to our team routine and traditions.  It's really best to take plenty of care and time in doing this right from the get go, so it's all worth it.

Of course, it had to be hotter than Hades out today, and with little or no shade on our course, it was a far cry from the friendly confines of Pells Park.  The kids really wished we were back at Pells, and so do I.  We will get that opportunity on Friday, when we jog the mile over to Pells to do our second time trial.  This will definately give the team something to look forward to.

After a tough workout yesterday, we backed off with a circuit run today, which helped in becoming more familiar with our course.  I thought the team responded pretty well to the heat, and of course the rigors of being back in the school environment.

Since we had early dismissal and had the team head to the Commons for study hall, I took time to discuss the importance of doing ALL of their homework since they must be passing ALL courses in order to stay eligible.  If the kids don't know my feelings about this after today's discussion, then they had to be sleeping.  I'm dead serious about doing what is right and getting things taken care of.  There are no excuses and I just hate it when a team member FAILS in their responsibility to the rest of the team, mostly by being LAZY.

We can't wait for the annual Pool Party, Picnic, and Practice on Saturday.  I hope to have a few parents come out and help, as in past years.  This really is a fun time for the team.

No comments: