Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Forged in the heat

After tonight's workout, I think this team is beginning to believe what we've been preaching.  If we prepare properly, we can do anything!!!!   It was pretty darned hot out there, yet the kids listened and drank plenty of the right fluids before, during and after practice and the results paid off.  We did our normal Wednesday hill workout, with two sprinklers at the 100 meter mark of the 200 meter hill.  Mind you, this workout would have felt like an inferno IF we hadn't prepared, but the kids really performed well.  NO ONE complained, NO ONE stopped to walk, and we did exactly what I wanted in 20 minutes.  Our intensity was pretty sound, yet the kids seemed to enjoy the challenge.  Pretty amazing, I thought!

A former XC runner and PBL grad Craig Boone happened to come by.  I introduced Craig to the team and noted his contributions to PBLHS XC and his GREAT basketball skills.  Then I took time to also feat him as a returning soldier from Iraq and Afghanistan.  What really astounded me is how the team responded by actually taking the time to THANK Craig for his service to our country.  Mind you, I did not know Craig was coming by nor did I prompt the team.  They did this all on their own.  Craig was so thankful for the kids reaction!!!   This was the BEST lesson of the day, after I had just talked to the team at our daily meeting about RESPECT to one another.  One must say that we have a good group of kids!!!

I distributed team shirt forms and a call for parents help for bottled water!!!

Tomorrow will be another scorcher, but we'll be ready to talk the next set of teams who come to invade our Panther XC trail.

No comments: