Thursday, August 15, 2013

Camp Pells Park - Day 4

Another nice day brings with it the challenge of day 4, which brings with it tired bodies.  Of course, this is to be expected but all part of the PROCESS of conditioning the body.  I was disappointed that a few girls decided to "skip" practice, so we'll be discussing that with them tomorrow.  No reason to get on the team members who were there, but I did express my displeasure with their decision.  Enough said.

I talked to the team about the weekend expectation of running at least 3 miles either Saturday or Sunday.  One day has to be a rest day, and I would prefer Sunday.  It's really important to keep the body in rhythm and tune to regular work, IF we want to improve.  At this level, I will not impose upon family time on weekends, knowing there are lots of things going on.  I know other programs race on Saturdays throughout the season, but I choose not to put the team through that grind.  We'll be prepared when the time is right, and be fresh for our only Saturday invitational at the end of the season, along with the Sectional and State Finals.

We had a great 22 minute relay workout, with each team member running anywhere between 10 to 12 200 meter runs with about a minute's rest in between.  I was really pleased with the teams overall effort throughout.  We looked good, despite having tired legs.

Let's look forward to tomorrow's Cookies and Ice Cream Mile Time Trial.  This gives us an indication of the fitness level of each team member and gives us a baseline to work with for the remainder of the season.

No comments: