Thursday, September 19, 2013

Lake of the Woods Hi Tower and Hill Roll

My first job out of college was as a camp counselor for the YMCA in Champaign, with camp being held at Lake of the Woods.  This was right before I started teaching at Paxton High School in August of 1977.  I've many fond memories of that place not only because of that experience, but it also served as my high school's home course my senior year at Fisher.  There were other good races there too, and I also recall our class picnic the Sunday after Prom my senior year.  Oh the memories of this place.

Those fond memories also bring with it some not so fond memories, as it seems every year we run at Lake of the Woods, I come home with a bitter taste in my mouth, with the exception of last year's Sectional meet.  Last year I lit up the team after a totally bad performance and I really didn't want to do that this year.  This year's team has a different dynamics, with a very young girls squad and a guys squad that has enough experience to be dangerous, if they want to be.

Today wasn't much different in my feelings, as we looked like we were running in quicksand.. Now, mind you, I know our kids are tired from some hard work and I knew there would be a drop in performance, but I didn't expect quite this much of a drop.  I suspect the combination of tired legs and hot, humid conditions made for a bad mix.  Only time will tell.

We talked briefly about that before our cool down, trip to the Hi Tower and roll down the hill, an annual tradition.  Then,  Coach T and I shared some thoughts with one another on the bus trip home.  After what we saw today, I now have a clue on just what we need to do to prepare for our Sectional meet in 3 short weeks with this year's teams.  I honestly think we will see totally different teams on that day.  My gut says that.

Team shirts are in so I will distribute those tomorrow.

No comments: