Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hard day on the hill

We've got a tired team, and that's all by design.  This week and next are the two most important of the season as we try and ready ourselves for the Championship Phase of the season, and that certainly is THE MAIN THING, reaching our goal of being at our best for the Sectional.

We pushed the hill pretty good tonight with 8 repeat fartlek style runs around the loop.  It was warm and humid, so we had the sprinklers going and had plenty of water to keep the team hydrated.

The biggest issue we have right now is getting the group to work as a unit, which can be such an awe inspiring experience.  Been there, done that, seen it lots of times.  The problem is, we are hot and cold on this concept.  One practice or meet, I think we have it, the next day, it's like looking for Santa Claus in the middle of summer.  So, hence our frustration as a coaching staff.  I'm still searching for that one magic bullet that will get them to really buy into the concept, so I'm still looking.

I have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve so I'll be rolling those out over the course of the next few days as we approach what should be the best part of the season.  I have a hunch it will all turn out just fine, but I still scratch my head, then express it here.

So, we look forward to a tough course at tomorrow's Fab 5 race at Lake of the Woods.  I will be very interested to see how we respond to my "special powers" talk today, and that starts when we get on the bus.  I look forward to some good eye contact.


No comments: